Shepherds Lead Contest
- Classes: Junior ages 5-13
Senior ages 14-19
Adult 20 years & over
- Contestant’s outfit must be at least 80% wool.
- Contestants must halter train a ewe lamb, yearling ewe, or a wether lamb. No rams allowed.
- The sheep does not have to be owned by the competitor. It should have at least two inches of fleece. The sheep will be judged on its fleece, so, if possible, wool should not be blocked, clipped or trimmed in any way, except for the removal of dung tags.
- The sheep may be colored or white and need not be registered.
- All sheep entered must be accompanied by a veterinary certification of health of the flock of origin. See also Animal Health Regulations. No pens are allocated specifically for entries.
- Judging will be based on:
Wool Outfit - 40 points
15 pts - handknit, crocheted, handwoven or sewn
15 pts - color, fit and style appropriate to wearer
5 pts - handspun yarn incorporated
5 pts - some or all work done by exhibitor
Sheep’s Fleece - 30 points
15 pts - general appearance, clean fleece, well defined crimp
15 pts - fitted to breed requirements
Poise and Control - 30 points
15 pts - poise of contestant
15 pts - control of the animal
Total - 100 points
- Premiums in each class are:
1st $60 2nd $25 3rd $15 4th $10
- Register by April 13, 2013
To register for the Shepherds Lead Contest, send your name, address and phone number, the class you are entering, a description of your outfit, and information about the sheep (including ownership) to:
or email ShepherdsLead@sheepandwool.org.